My hair and I have a love/hate relationship.
When I was younger I had no clue how to take care of my hair and damaged it pretty bad. Too much heat, loads of dye & constantly pulling it up in tight ponytails left it in pretty rough shape. Which resulted in many a short haircut, not that I minded…I can rock some short hair😃
Now that I’m older and wiser, I’ve figured out what hair do’s and don’ts I need to stick to in order to keep my hair healthy.
- Don’t wash your hair everyday – I wash my hair twice a week, once with shampoo (sulphate free) & once with conditioner (co-washing – for added moisture)
- Do deep condition!! Every week, non negotiable. This keeps my hair from breaking.
- Do keep heat to a minimum – I blow dry & flat iron my hair once a week, keeping my flat iron under 375 degrees. Most importantly, I use a heat protectant.
- Don’t wait too long between trims. I used to think if I didn’t cut my hair it would grow longer. Truth is, the more I trim it, the more length I retain.
- Do stretch relaxers – I relax my hair every 3/4 months. Also, avoid over-processing by waiting at least 2 weeks after relaxing to dye your hair.
Dying relaxed hair can cause serious breakage if you’re not careful. Making sure to wait sufficient time after other chemical processes and choosing the right dye is important.
Nowadays there are better dyes on the market that are less harsh on your hair during the coloring process.
Madison Reed is a brand in the hair color industry that is developing radically innovative and technology-enabled hair care and color products. Their color formula is enhanced with a Triple Care Complex of Argan Oil, Keratin, and Ginseng Root to strengthen, repair, and bring out your hair’s natural shine.
They have this really cool online Color Advisor that guides you through a few simple questions to present you with the shades that will be perfect for you, your hair, and your skin tone.
Where was this type of technology back when I was a teenager? It could’ve saved me a world of grief. Maybe I would have thought twice about going blonde…
Bloglovin’ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter